Wednesday, November 19, 2014

... I'm not just one of your many toys.You don't own me, don't say I can't go with other boys ...

 
I love fall because of the crispness and the colors. The slow change to the dusky evenings and clear nights. The bonfires and the light smoky smell of bourbon in a cut glass tumbler.



And holy cow, I love orange.



My dad once said that my mom HATED orange. When she first moved to College-town from Summerville the DIRT was orange, the people were WEARING orange, the LEAVES were orange, there were orange PAW-PRINTS in the road, and the SHAG CARPET in her apartment was ... orange. Our feelings on the color are a little dissimilar.


The local sports team is Solid Orange, and we dress OUT this time of year. I get to wear my little orange dress and try to wear something orange every Friday. I occasionally fail.



The season supports my obsession by providing pumpkin flavored (and orange-colored) everything. I make creamy pumpkin pasta. Our crop-share throws us stacks of sweet potatoes and butternut squash. These look lovely next to kale and beets - contrasting with the purples and deep greens. The leaves on the trees lining the road to my house - all vibrant orange, All the paint schemes and accessories I want to redecorate my townhouse with involve a lot of accent orange.




And now I just found out my favorite color is being used to back an awesome campaign - UNiTE to End Violence Against Women. Every 25th of the month is "Orange Day" - a day to raise awareness of and take action against violence to women and girls. For 16 days, individuals are encouraged to focus on activism.  A toolkit with more information on how to promote the cause can be found here.

Check out the Facebook page and tweet with #orangeurhood to show how you're taking part in the 16 day ORANGEOUT.







No comments:

Post a Comment